Elevator & Escalator Rescue: A Comprehensive Guide, 2nd EditionTheodore Lee
Elevator & Escalator Rescue: A Comprehensive Guide, 2nd Edition
By Theodore Lee Jarboe & John J. O'Donoghue
The long-awaited second edition of Elevator & Escalator Rescue: A Comprehensive Guide is written by firefighters for firefighters and contains important information for technical rescue members, training officers, and fire company members alike. This book details the risks involved in elevator and escalator rescues and how to face them successfully.
- A comprehensive guide for dealing with elevator and escalator emergencies, including a complete review and updating of all chapters.
- Coverage spanning the evolution of elevators from their most primitive stages to include today’s high-tech innovations, modular, wind turbine, pneumatic and destination control systems as well as STM suspension belts.
- A new chapter (Chapter 35) containing information and the description about the Fire Service Access Elevator (FSAE). What they are, where will they be found, and building code changes that will help safeguard the firefighters using these elevators. This will include the use of a Narrative Sheet to ensure compliance with requirements.
- A new chapter (Chapter 33) on the Occupant Evacuation Operation (OEO) and Occupant Evacuation Elevator (OEE) elevators. These systems are already in place in new design ultra high-rise buildings in the US. They will be used to evacuate the occupants in these buildings.
- An updated elevator glossary of elevator and escalator terminology.
- Chapter ending questions to test students’ comprehension.
Table of Contents:
• The history of elevators
• Elevator system overview
• Traction elevators
• Types of doors, interlocks, and restrictors
• Hallway and elevator lobby features
• Car interior components and finish
• Hydraulic elevator systems
• Freight elevators and dumbwaiters
• Newer technologies
• Residential and special elevators
• Elevator safety philosophy and rules
• Rescue tools and equipment
• Elevator hoistway door unlocking device keys
• Poling guidelines
• Car top and side emergency exits
• Forcible entry: Types, use, and safety
• Managing passenger entrapment incidents
• Managing pinned-victim incidents
• Managing fall-from-heights incidents
• Managing elevator fires
• Case studies and lessons learned
• Automatic sprinkler systems and shunt trips
• The firefighters' emergency operation key: FEO-K1
• Use of elevators during a building fire
• Training for safe and successful elevator rescue operations
• Escalator development history
• The escalator system
• Escalator safety philosophy and rules
• Escalator safety features
• Escalator rescue tools and equipment
• The A17 elevator task group study
• Fire service access elevator (FSAE)
• Occupant evacuation operation (OEO) and occupant evacuation elevators (OEE)
• Final thoughts
• Design guidelines for fire service access elevators (FSAE Guide)
• Fire service elevator narrative
• Sample standard operating guidelines
- Number of Pages:
- Published Date: