J. Curtis Varone
Legal Considerations for Fire & Emergency Services 4th EdJ. Curtis Varone
Legal Considerations for Fire & Emergency Services 4th Ed
THE LAW HAS EVOLVED & SO HAS LEGAL CONSIDERATIONS!
The long-awaited 4th edition of Legal Considerations for Fire & Emergency Services is an essential textbook for any course on fire service law as well as an indispensable desk reference for day-to-day fire department administration.
Author J. Curtis Varone, a practicing attorney and experienced firefighter explores comprehensive coverage of the major legal issues in the fire and EMS services, such as negligence; immunity; criminal law; arson; search and seizure; FLSA wage and hour over time issues; employment discrimination; sexual harassment; FMLA; Americans with Disabilities Act; public records laws; open meetings requirements; drug testing; due process; collective bargaining for firefighters; OSHA and the relationship between NFPA standards and OSHA enforcement; EMS related topics such as consent, implied consent, informed consent, the role of DNR orders, living wills, and durable powers of attorney for health care decisions; refusals against medical advice; and much more.
FEATURES OF THE FOURTH EDITION:
- Updated case law on employment discrimination and newly enacted laws mandating sexual harassment policies and training in the workplace
- New US Supreme Court case law on union security provisions
- Marijuana law update including the impact of legalized hemp, recreational marijuana, and medical marijuana on drug testing of firefighters
- New guidance for social media, digital imagery, and electronic surveillance
- Meets the latest requirements for FESHE’s Legal Aspects of the Fire Service as well as Political and Legal Foundations for Fire Protection
- Number of Pages:
- Published Date:
Curt Varone's fire law text is the gold standard for fire and emergency services legal textbooks. My students rarely sell their text back to the bookstore and most become devotees of his FireLawBlog which perfectly complements the text.
it has been a great reed so far , i hope to have the time to read the whole thing soon .